Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Things I Learned on My Trip to California


By now everyone knows we spent a few days enjoying blue skies and heat stroke last week. For more details, read this. But this vacation was more than a few days off, it was a learning experience. Since most of you weren't able to join us, I thought I would share a few of the things I learned this past week. (Full disclosure: some of these things I already knew, but they were reconfirmed in a big way.)

1. Parowan was founded in 1851.
2. Most children can live for days on a diet of nothing more than pop tarts, french fries, and funnel cakes without any apparent ill effects.
3. There are two types of women in the world--those who should wear thongs, and those who shouldn't. If you aren't employed holding a brief case for Howie Mandell, you are likely in the second group. Note to the woman with the thong pulled halfway up her back without any apparent discomfort, sitting in front of me during the Seamore and Clyde Save the Day show at Seaworld: you are definitely in the second group.
4. My wife has no interest in being photographed in front of the world's largest thermometer. I know, I wouldn't have believed it myself, if I hadn't been there.
5. It is definitely a small world--I ran into two different classmates from school and saw two people I went to high-school with at the happiest place on earth.
6. Disneyland is much better when Small World is closed for renovations. Much better.
7. Freezing cold water is not enough to keep fully clothed boys out of the ocean.
8. The tops of your feet burn more easily than any other part of the body (actually, I haven't tested this hypothesis on every part of the body, but feet definitely rank in the top three).
9.  My mental age is "in my 50s" which is probably lower than my physical age at the moment. Thanks Brain Age.
10. Hotel showers generally rock. Hotel mattresses generally suck.

1 comment:

K said...

Hey Rob - One thing I learned on our recent trip to California:

Small World is closed because the boats are being recalibrated to accomidate the increasing girth of the American public. The boats were filling with water under our extreme weight and we were annoyed at getting wet.